India is known for its rigorous and competitive education system, and several exams are considered to be extremely challenging.
Here are five of the toughest exams in India:
- AIIMS Entrance Exam
- Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) Civil Services Examination: The UPSC Civil Services Examination is one of the toughest and most prestigious exams in India. It is conducted to select candidates for top administrative positions in the Indian government, including the Indian Administrative Service (IAS), Indian Police Service (IPS), and Indian Foreign Service (IFS). The exam comprises three stages: Preliminary, Main, and Interview.
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) Entrance Exam: AIIMS conducts an entrance exam for admission to its undergraduate medical programs. The exam is highly competitive, as it attracts a large number of students aspiring to become doctors. The exam tests students’ knowledge in physics, chemistry, biology, and general knowledge.
- Indian Institutes of Technology Joint Entrance Examination (IIT-JEE): The IIT-JEE is the entrance exam for admission to the prestigious Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) for undergraduate engineering programs. It is known for its rigorous and challenging nature, testing students’ understanding of physics, chemistry, and mathematics.
- Common Admission Test (CAT): CAT is a national-level entrance exam conducted for admission to management programs in prestigious Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) and other leading business schools. The exam assesses candidates’ aptitude in areas such as quantitative ability, data interpretation, verbal ability, and logical reasoning.
- National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET): NEET is the national-level medical entrance exam in India for admission to undergraduate medical and dental programs. It is conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA) and covers subjects such as physics, chemistry, and biology. NEET is highly competitive, as it determines admission to various government and private medical colleges across the country.
Other toughest exams in India are:
- Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE): GATE is conducted for admission to postgraduate programs in engineering and technology, as well as for recruitment into public sector companies. It is highly competitive and tests candidates’ comprehensive understanding of their respective engineering fields.
- National Defence Academy (NDA) Entrance Exam: The NDA exam is conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) for admission to the Indian Army, Navy, and Air Force. It assesses candidates’ physical fitness, general aptitude, and knowledge.
- Staff Selection Commission (SSC) Combined Graduate Level (CGL) Exam: The SSC CGL exam is conducted for recruitment to various Group B and Group C posts in the central government. It tests candidates’ knowledge in various subjects and includes multiple stages of selection.
- Chartered Accountancy (CA) Exams: The CA exams conducted by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) are known for their difficulty. The exams consist of multiple levels and comprehensive assessments to become a qualified chartered accountant.
- Indian Statistical Service (ISS) Exam: This exam is conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) to recruit statisticians for various government departments. It assesses candidates’ knowledge and application of statistical concepts.
These exams require extensive preparation, comprehensive knowledge, and strong problem-solving skills. They are known for their low acceptance rates and the intense competition among aspiring candidates.