Here are the top 5 smallest countries by land area:
- Vatican City
- San Marino
- Vatican City is a sovereign city-state that is an independent country enclaved within Rome, Italy. It is the smallest country in the world, with a total area of just 44 hectares (110 acres) and a population of around 800 people, most of whom are members of the clergy or other officials of the Catholic Church. It is also the spiritual and administrative center of the Roman Catholic Church and is the residence of the Pope, who is the leader of the Catholic Church and the head of state of Vatican City. The city-state has its own government, with the Pope serving as the monarch and the head of state, and it is recognized as a separate entity by most countries and international organizations.
- Monaco is a sovereign city-state located on the French Riviera, bordered by France on three sides and the Mediterranean Sea on the fourth. It is the second smallest country in the world, with a total area of only 2.02 square kilometers (0.78 square miles) and a population of approximately 39,000 people. Monaco is known for its luxury and glamour, with a high concentration of wealth, casinos, and high-end shopping. The country has a constitutional monarchy system of government, with the Prince of Monaco serving as the head of state. Monaco is also a member of the United Nations, the Council of Europe, and several other international organizations.
- Nauru is a small island nation located in the Micronesian region of the Pacific Ocean. It is the third smallest country in the world, with a total area of just 21 square kilometers (8.1 square miles) and a population of around 10,000 people. Nauru gained independence from Australia in 1968, and its economy was once heavily dependent on phosphate mining, but the depletion of its phosphate reserves has led to economic decline in recent years.
- Tuvalu is a small island nation located in the Polynesian region of the Pacific Ocean. It is the fourth smallest country in the world, with a total land area of only 26 square kilometers (10 square miles) and a population of approximately 11,000 people. Tuvalu is a constitutional monarchy, with the British monarch as the head of state, represented by a governor-general. The nation is also vulnerable to the impacts of climate change, particularly sea-level rise, which threatens its existence.
- San Marino is a small landlocked country located in Southern Europe, surrounded entirely by Italy. It is one of the smallest countries in the world, with a total area of just over 61 square kilometers (23.6 square miles) and a population of around 34,000 people. San Marino is also one of the oldest republics in the world, with a history dating back to the 4th century. San Marino is not a member of the European Union but has a customs union with Italy and uses the euro as its official currency.
Other small (by land area) countries are Liechtenstein, Marshall Islands, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Maldives, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. It’s worth noting that some of these countries, such as the Maldives, consist of multiple islands, while others are landlocked like Liechtenstein. Despite their small size, many of these countries have unique cultures and histories, and attract visitors from around the world.