While Shahrukh Khan has had a successful career in Bollywood, there have been a few films that did not perform well at the box office. It’s important to note that the success or failure of a film is subjective and can vary based on factors such as expectations, audience reception, and box office collections. Here is a list of some Shahrukh Khan films that were considered commercially unsuccessful:
- Dil Se..
“Asoka” is a historical drama film directed by Santosh Sivan, released in 2001. The film portrays the life of Emperor Ashoka, who ruled over a significant part of the Indian subcontinent in the 3rd century BCE. Here is information about the cast, box office collection, plot, and budget of the film:
- Shahrukh Khan as Emperor Ashoka
- Kareena Kapoor as Kaurwaki
- Rahul Dev as Susima
- Danny Denzongpa as Prime Minister
- Hrishitaa Bhatt as Devi
- Ajith Kumar as Sushima (Special appearance)
The film did not perform well at the box office and was considered a commercial failure. The exact box office collection figures for “Asoka” are not readily available.
The film follows the journey of Emperor Ashoka, who initially starts as a ruthless and power-hungry ruler. However, after witnessing the devastation caused by his violent conquests, he transforms into a compassionate leader and embraces Buddhism. The story also revolves around Ashoka’s love interest, Kaurwaki, and their complex relationship.
The exact budget of the film is not widely known. However, it is believed to have had a high production budget due to its extensive sets, elaborate costumes, and visual effects.
“Asoka” is notable for its grand scale, captivating cinematography, and powerful performances. Despite its initial lackluster box office performance, the film has gained a cult following over the years and is appreciated for its unique portrayal of Emperor Ashoka’s life and transformation.
“Paheli” is a Bollywood film directed by Amol Palekar, released in 2005
- Shahrukh Khan as Kishanlal/Boojhwa
- Rani Mukerji as Lachchi
- Anupam Kher as Bhanwarlal
- Juhi Chawla as Gajrobai
- Amitabh Bachchan as The Narrator
“Paheli” tells the story of Lachchi, a young woman who is married to Kishanlal, a merchant. Shortly after their wedding, Kishanlal has to leave for work, leaving Lachchi behind. During his absence, Lachchi encounters a ghost-like figure called Boojhwa, who takes the appearance of her husband. Boojhwa falls in love with Lachchi and tries to win her affection. When the real Kishanlal returns, he is unaware of the supernatural events that have taken place. The film explores the themes of love, longing, and the boundaries between reality and illusion.
The film did not perform as well at the box office and was considered commercially unsuccessful. However, specific box office figures for “Paheli” are not readily available.
The budget of “Paheli” was reported to be around ₹14 crore.
“Swades” is a 2004 Hindi film directed by Ashutosh Gowariker.
- Shahrukh Khan as Mohan Bhargava
- Gayatri Joshi as Gita
- Kishori Balal as Kaveri amma
- Makrand Deshpande as Arjun
- Rajesh Vivek as Nivaran
- Daya Shankar Pandey as Dayaram
- Lekh Tandon as Dadaji
- Farrukh Jaffar as Kesar dadi
“Swades” tells the story of Mohan Bhargava (played by Shahrukh Khan), a successful Indian scientist working at NASA in the United States. After receiving news of his former nanny, Kaveri amma, longing to meet him, Mohan decides to return to India. He embarks on a journey to his homeland, where he rediscovers his roots and becomes aware of the social issues and challenges faced by rural India. The movie explores themes of patriotism, community development, and personal growth.
The budget of “Swades” was approximately ₹20 crore.
“Swades” had a modest box office performance, earning around ₹33 crore in India. While it did not achieve blockbuster status, the film has gained a cult following and is appreciated for its strong storyline and Shahrukh Khan’s performance.
4. Dil Se..
“Dil Se” is a Bollywood film released in 1998, directed by Mani Ratnam. It is a romantic thriller that explores themes of love, terrorism, and patriotism. Here is some information about the movie:
- Shahrukh Khan: Played the lead role of Amarkant Varma, a radio journalist.
- Manisha Koirala: Portrayed the character of Meghna, a mysterious woman who becomes the love interest of Amarkant.
- Preity Zinta: Made her acting debut with this film, playing the role of Preeti Nair, a young woman who falls in love with Amarkant.
- Raghuvir Yadav, Mita Vasisht, and others also had supporting roles in the film.
The film tells the story of Amarkant Varma, a radio journalist who falls in love with Meghna during a journey to report on the insurgency in the North-Eastern region of India. Despite Meghna’s initial resistance, Amarkant persists in pursuing her. However, he gradually discovers that Meghna is connected to a militant group involved in acts of terrorism. The movie explores their tumultuous relationship, highlighting themes of love, sacrifice, and the consequences of choosing between personal desires and patriotic duty.
“Dil Se” had a mixed response at the box office. While it received critical acclaim and has gained a cult following over time, it did not perform exceptionally well commercially. The exact box office figures are not readily available, but it is considered to be an average grosser.
The budget of “Dil Se” was around ₹10-15 crores.
“Ra.One” is a Bollywood superhero film directed by Anubhav Sinha, released in 2011:
- Shahrukh Khan as Shekhar Subramanium / G.One / Ra.One
- Kareena Kapoor Khan as Sonia Subramanium
- Arjun Rampal as Ra.One
- Shahana Goswami as Jenny Nayar
- Tom Wu as Akashi
- Armaan Verma as Prateek Subramanium
“Ra.One” had a strong opening and performed well at the box office. The film reportedly grossed around ₹240 crore worldwide.
The movie revolves around Shekhar Subramanium, a video game developer who creates a powerful villain character called Ra.One. However, things take an unexpected turn when Ra.One becomes self-aware and escapes into the real world. In order to protect his family, Shekhar brings to life his own superhero creation called G.One. The film follows the clash between Ra.One and G.One, with Shekhar and his son Prateek caught in the middle.
The budget of “Ra.One” was estimated to be around ₹150 crore, making it one of the most expensive Indian films at that time. The movie incorporated advanced visual effects and cutting-edge technology, contributing to the higher production costs.
Other Shahrukh Khan flop movies are:
- Billu (2009): Despite having a special appearance by Shahrukh Khan, Billu, directed by Priyadarshan, did not receive a positive response from the audience and was not successful commercially.
- Fan (2016): Fan, directed by Maneesh Sharma, received critical acclaim for Shahrukh Khan’s dual role, but it did not perform as well as expected commercially.
- Zero (2018): Directed by Aanand L. Rai, Zero failed to meet box office expectations despite the star power of Shahrukh Khan and received mixed reviews from critics.
- Dilwale (2015): Despite being a highly anticipated film that brought Shahrukh Khan and Kajol back together on screen, Dilwale had a mixed response from the audience and had lower box office collections compared to expectations.
- Jab Harry Met Sejal (2017): This romantic comedy film directed by Imtiaz Ali did not connect with the audience as expected and had relatively low box office collections.